Connect with us

India

2 acquitted in UK girl’s rape-murder on Goa beach, mother wants to appeal

Published

on

Two beach shack workers, accused of raping and killing 15-year-old UK teenager Scarlett Keeling on a Goa beach in 2008, were acquitted by a trial court here on Friday. The victim’s mother and her counsel claimed that incompetent investigation influenced by the drug mafia and an inordinate delay could have led to the acquittal.
Samson D’Souza and Placido Carvalho were acquitted by Goa Children’s Court President Vandana Tendulkar at the end of an investigation and trial that dragged on for eight years. Carvalho said that he was “happy” with the judgement and that all the charges against him were “false”.

Speaking to IANS after the verdict was delivered, advocate Vikram Varma, counsel of Fiona Mackeown, Scarlett’s mother, said the criminal justice system has let them down.

“The criminal justice goes into motion and those who are charged are acquitted, which essentially means that nobody killed her, nobody hurt her, nobody gave her cocaine,” Varma said.

“So the issue is, if someone has been murdered, it is the job of the investigating agency to find out who has done it and present adequate evidence for the charges they have filed against these people. Now that particular system has failed,” he said.

Scarlett’s half-naked body was found at Anjuna beach in February 2008. While the police initially tried to pass off the incident as a suicide, a second autopsy revealed 52 injury marks on her body as well as traces of a cocktail of drugs in her system.

The case was subsequently handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation by the then Congress-led coalition government, after a high-profile campaign for justice by Fiona, who during course of the trial accused then state Home Minister Ravi Naik as well as his son Roy, of trying a cover-up for gthe crime.

The trial was also delayed due to the transfer of five judges from the Goa Children’s Court, which is authorised to try criminal cases against minors in the coastal state.

“The delay has been of a reluctant system, which does not want to investigate a crime committed on a foreigner, if the crime has been committed by a local person,” Varma said.

A dejected Fiona said that medical evidence appeared to suggest that her daughter had been drugged, raped and murdered, but blamed the local police as well as the CBI for the acquittal of the two accused. She said that international tourists were not safe in Goa.

Keeling’s death turned the spotlight on the issue of safety of the coastal state’s beaches which attract nearly four million tourists every year.

“It is clear that the CBI are either incompetent or corrupt and I don’t believe that they are incompetent. I can only say that if international tourists come to Goa and they are murdered, they cannot hope for justice,” Fiona said.

A mother of eight children and a resident of Devon in Britain, Fiona said that her resources and strengths had got sapped over the course of the prolonged investigation and trial, adding that she was feeling “deflated” after the acquittal.

She also said that the refusal of a key witness in the case, Michael Mannion from the UK, to depose before the Goa Children’s Court even via video conference from the UK, could have punctured the prosecution’s case. Mannion was a key witness who had seen Samson sexually assault Scarlett near the Luis beach shack, at Anjuna beach.

“I hold him partially responsible for he let Scarlett down the first time when he drove off on that day, and he has let her down today. He is a despicable coward…” Fiona said.

Fiona has expressed hope that the CBI would go in appeal against the order.

CBI counsel Ejaz Khan said the decision on whether the agency would go in appeal would be taken only after perusal of the order, a copy of which is expected to be released on Monday.

“We haven’t seen the court order yet. We will get a copy of the order on Monday. We will be in a position to comment on the order only after going through the written order,” Khan told IANS.

Speaking to IANS, Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar said “Personally, the outcome of the case is unfortunate”.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

India

Man held for making hoax bomb call for Taj Mahal

Published

on

By

Agra, 4 March : The Agra police have arrested the man who made a hoax call on Thursday morning claiming that there was a bomb in the Taj Mahal.

The man identified as Vimal Kumar Singh, is a resident of Nakhi in Uttar Pradesh’s Firozabad. Inspector General (IG) Satish Ganesh said that Singh was being interrogated.

“It seems he is of unsound mind and is being treated for the disorder. We are also trying to locate his location at the time when he made the call,” the IG said. He said that further investigations were underway.

Continue Reading

India

SKM announces 5-hr blockade at KMP expressway on 100th day of protest

Published

on

By

New Delhi, 3 March: The Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP) expressway will be blocked for five hours on March 6 as the farmers’ protest against the three Central farm laws complete 100 days, the Samyukta Kisan Morcha (SKM) announced on Tuesday after a meeting held on the 96th day of the protest to prepare future strategy.

Continue Reading

India

People in Delhi rejected BJP for corruption: AAP

Published

on

By

New Delhi, March 4 : After winning four out of five municipal seats in Delhi’s civic bodies’ bypolls on Wednesday, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) attacked MCD ruling Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) which failed to secure even a single seat. The AAP slammed the BJP saying that the people of Delhi were fed up with rampant corruption in civic agencies in the city under its 15 years rule.

Continue Reading

Trending Live

Advertisement

Latest Post

Big News

Advertisement

Sports

Advertisement

Entertainment

Trending